Sunday, July 26, 2015

Tiny bathroom

Not much space for the bath - and the washing machine! Exactly 3.5 m2. And there is a large window as well...

I first made the 'laundry tower', then the dividing wall for the geyser and electrical mains in the back

Instead of building IN the house I made an element.

I had a hard time deciding what tiles I should put in: my favorite were mini mosaic ones - but in this small room it looked a bit too busy. When I finally made up my mind I tried my best - but it is obvious that I have not done much mini tiling yet..  I worked with fractions of millimeters because the tiles need to rest on the rim of the shower base. 

And the shower base in itself was a challenge because my benchmark was the one in Carol's last blog.  I made two from foam board, one from thick PP sheet, one from cardboard, one from foam rubber covered with gesso and finally settled for 1mm PP sheet material I sprayed glossy white. 
This after the very promising cardboard model was ruined because I left it outside to dry - and was caught by a sudden downpour, grrr

Then to my absolute favorite: the lights! More spots will eventually be installed in the lift-off ceiling.

Next step is putting the two containers together, doing the wiring and then lay the floor.
Keep u posted..

Thursday, July 9, 2015

Venetian wood blinds

The logical next step would now be to do the bathroom while the two containers are still not attached. 
But sometimes things just work differently! I found Gary's blog and is working on the same as I do! So, we could exchange experiences and that really helped.

The first try was with cutting 5mm veneer into slats. But the wood split badly and of course at all the crucial places ;-). I then got 5mm wood strips I only had to cut to the length.

Gary's idea with keeping the slats in place by drilling holes was excellent! I had to off-center them at the top piece because I had to consider depth of the window frame as well as being able to attach a cord to it for lifting and lowering the blinds (not working though like Gary's...).

But instead of making the ladders myself I found some curtain material with 5x5mm holes, hung them with a weight attached at the end. That made it all somewhat easier.

All looked great! But when I wanted to fold them the result was GRRR!! 
My curtain material was to thick to fold nicely. 

I decided to only add as many slats as I want the blind to be high - this way you cannot really take it up and down ... but it looks great as well. And threading them at the side keeps them in place.