Monday, February 10, 2020

Mini mania!

Mini got hold of me again! And I started my next project: a Parisian pied-à-terre on the top two floors of a typical building in Boulevard Haussmann in Paris.
This totally different and new style really tempted me....


Here the design I made for the house. I focus on the apartment right now - whether I do the three remaining levels below this ... not sure yet.

Walls: I decided not to paint but rather use a nice color paper.

Windows: we recently got a fablab (public space with laser cutters, 3d printers, felt-press, etc.) in our town. So, I decided to laser the windows with cardstock. But first I had to learn the software (Inkscape) and get to know how the laser works. This took a while but it was fun because I got to know new people and techniques. Learning something new is sooo important!

miniature Window handles

But only two of the windows on this floor open - didn't want to stress myself too much ;-)
I am so please with the hardware from my shop at Shapeways... it looks perfect.

Floor: popsicle sticks with a tinted waxing.
The holes in the wall are for lights up to staircase...


Panels for the walls: cardstock, combination of laser and hand-cut. But I had to order the quarter-round dowels for the top from the U.K. - and of course all these other wall trimmings.

Entrance and staircase: space is a little cramped there and I really had to figure our which step to take first. I wanted to use the space under the staircase and recessed part of the kitchen into it.

And there was a small space for a laundry room as well :-) I did not furnish this because I cannot get to it and just used a photo.



While the apartment is old, the furnishing and interior decorating will be contemporary. Shabby chic or antique is just not my style. So, I saw this sofa 'Major Tom' in Dezeen and made a replica. It turned out beautiful but I think it is a little too big for this room - might have to make a different one.
Major Tom in miniature

As you know lamps and lighting is my passion! First I had this idea for the two in the entrance hall.
Then I wanted a Belux Twilight for the lounge. And of course a reading light: copy of Fez from Baltenschweiler. And I laid enough cables for a few more ;-)
Entrance Hall with downlights (Nalladris bulbs)


Miniatures Belux Twilight floor lamp


And the kitchen is nearly complete as well:



Ah, nearly forgot the radiator - it can be cold in Paris in winter, too ;-)
oh, just see that the door handls are at a different height... mh. Some things you only notice on a photo...


Well, this is what the project looks today. Seems as it I calculated the stairscase correctly: just enough space for the flooring :-)



A looong blog - but there was so much to share!
And either I now get busy with the floor above or I do the front first - there is still plenty to make me happy :-)

Keep you posted...





7 comments:

  1. What a great house you have started. I am looking forward to follow the progress. I have started a new house too - this time a canal house from Amsterdam. You can see it on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! It looks so beautiful. Your window hardware is perfect and I love all the trim and wainscoting! And that floor! I have no patience for herringbone but I may have to develop some to get this look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sheila, it is easy once you have the first row angled properly.... courage!!! ;-)

      Delete
  3. Wow Marion! It is so exciting to see how you've taken this building with all of it's old world charm and brought it right into modern times! I love the lighting and the clever use of space, the fabulous sofa and the spectacular floor! I do hope you'll finish the other floors, maybe a lighting and plumbing shop to showcase all of your Shapeways products? I also can't wait to see how you'll design the exterior - such a fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi jodi, what a superb idea with the shop on the ground floor :-) thanks for your creative input - you are a star!

      Delete
  4. It already looks stunning, Marion! Wow, a Fab Lab, that sounds like something I would love to have in town.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous space, Marion.
    I love the combination of the super modern fit-out in the 'old' apartment and yes, those window fittings look just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete